Jan 1, 2007

Churning Out


Let me start off by wishing you a very Happy New Year. With the fairwell of 2006 and starting off 2007, many would have whipped out a list of resolutions. Every year we come up with a list and by the beginning of the following year, we only see that many of our resolutions are still left undone in the list, only to be carried over to the following year (no offense to the ones who actually fulfill it). Having said that, I made up my list which is just a remake of my last years' list with some new additions.

One of the items in my list is to go to the gym regularly. When I say regularly, I mean going there three or four times every week at a minimum. When you don't show up at the gym for that week, your item is still on the resolutions list. So, I made up my mind to start the new year and the week by going to the gym. I was expecting to see a decent crowd at the gym, because I saw a crowd after ThanksGiving and after Christmas. During those times, people were churning out calories after their turkey dinner for ThanksGiving and ham or leg of lamb dinner for Christmas. If people were working out so hard the next day after those holiday dinners, it was only fair on my part to expect them making their resolution to be at the gym on the first day of the year and sticking to it. To my dismay, the gym was half empty and most of the machines were unoccupied.

I think most people come to the gym after big meals or parties or holidays, just to cover their guilt (I am not talking about you veterans at the gym). Some are really dedicated at working out, that they go out for a jog even when it is raining or snowing or in the darkest night possible. Hats off to them, except don't get runover by the traffic. Have a plan for workout, come up with a feasible time for working out and stick with the plan. Do it, but do not overdo it.

No comments: