Mar 28, 2007

My Ovation to 'Scrubs'


I very rarely watch any show or serial on T.V. whether it is English or Hindi. If it is a serial, I have to make sure I follow it through to understand the story line, which means I am glued to the television for that time slot every single day that it is aired. With the chores that I run every day, it is difficult for me to commit to a show. So I always end up watching shows that have same characters but different stories altogether every time it is shown. What do I mean by this? Take for example, Seinfeld. The characters are the same but every episode you see is totally independent of the episodes before, barring the references they would make here and there.

When I came to the U.S. in 1994, I began watching ‘Saved by the bells’. I liked the school setting and the story line more because I had graduated out of the college recently and was missing that atmosphere. Seeing that show would lighten up my mood and I enjoyed the characters especially ‘Slater’ played by Mario (cute dimple on his cheek) and ‘Screech’ - played by Dustin. These characters reminded me of my friends at college. Even then, I did not watch this show every time it was aired on T.V. but when I was in front of TV flipping channels and if this show came on, I would end up watching it.

Later, I moved on to watching ‘Mad about you’ with characters Paul Buchman (Paul Reiser) and Jamie Buchman (Helen Hunt). It was a family setting and I could relate to some of the episodes I would watch. It truly depicted how a couple managed their lives with friends and families around. What turn one’s lives would take when one is impacted by people around them. I was so hooked on that show, that I would watch it anytime it was aired (provided I knew it too). The theme song would always play in the back of my head. Even today, if I happened to land on the channel that showed this show, I would watch it, simply because I love it.

Then it was the time for ‘Seinfeld’, which was introduced to me by my friend and colleague, who I worked with years ago. Since then, I am glued to that show. I have watched every single episode of all the seasons thus far. It is sad that the show is over but people will find me watching repeats of any episode of Seinfeld even today. Even in my blogs, I would always relate the incidents with what I saw on the show. I am proud to say that I jumped on that bandwagon; even though I had missed out on many others.

Lately, I am hooked on to ‘Scrubs’ (Main character JD, played by Braff). This show is put up in the hospital setting and the wide range of theme and topics that they cover makes me wonder, ‘how do they come up with it?’ Every episode brings on a smile on me for various reasons. May it be because of the story, because of how they show how to deal with life and love, because of friendship and I can keep going on and on about it. I have seen only the first three seasons and am yet to see the rest. This year will be the last season of ‘Scrubs’ and Braff decided to make movies full time instead. Good for him but bad for me. I am hoping to catch up with the rest of the seasons and I try to see the current season as I can when it is aired.

All these shows that I mentioned have same settings and characters but the story would be different. So even if I missed a show in between, there is nothing to catch up on and that is the kind of show I like to watch. On an occasional basis, I also watch ‘ER’, ’Law and Order’, ‘CSI’ and such because I have an interest in criminal investigation. Whatever show I watch, I only hope that it unwinds me from stress when I watch it rather than putting stress on me, in making me watch it religiously and I have gotten a good deal with watching Scrubs. It makes me smile and laugh every single time I see it.

No comments: