Mar 19, 2007

Eureka... this is it!

I envy those who can write and especially those who can write pages on a simple topic. After reading what they write, I feel the point was simple enough and that I could have written something like that but when I sit down to write, I hardly seem to get one paragraph together. I started writing these blogs to simply improve my writing skills on any given topic. So I pick up topics and news randomly from the newspaper and I start to write by explaining what the topic is about and then what? How do I associate myself to the topic? That is where the challenge is. My mind often wanders around different topics and thoughts that I have to put a leash and control my thought process to stick to one topic and one topic only.

When I started writing these blogs, I did not know that it would become a chore where I would spend at least a couple of hours a day to complete my write-up on the topic. Why? I have to decide on a topic, and then put my thoughts together as to what I would write about the topic. If I have to talk about the news, then I might as well give the link and the readers can read the news themselves. I don’t need to re-write the news. The idea is to tell what I think about the news or the topics and share my experience about it. The key is my experience (if I have one); so most of my time goes in finding out how to get the readers attention. Now, one might say, I am writing all these for myself, why bother about readers. Well, the simple answer is, if nobody is reading it, then how do I know what I wrote was correct or not. If people read what I write, they would say what is right or what was wrong and help me correct it as needed. If nobody is reading it, then I have no way to find out what I wrote was correct.

During the first few months, I religiously wrote every single weekday, though it took me hours each day. But slowly, I realized that it was eating away most of my time and writing did not come naturally as it would for others. I found myself reading every single article and taking the newspaper clipping of the ones I wanted to write on. I was caught a numerous times, in the act of thinking deeply to put together what I wanted to say in the blog and was told that writing was not my cup of tea and that I am taking this as a chore rather than as a hobby. For ‘some’, ideas pop up when they are in the shower and they would walk out saying 'that’s how I will write on that topic today'. Well, I am not among that 'some'. I have to work at it to put together what I wanted to say. But I don’t want it to be a chore and so I stopped blogging for a while. From now on, I will write when I come up with that idea, saying 'Eureka....this is it'.

1 comment:

Jay said...

You should just write what comes into your head rather than worrying what people will think or interpret or analyze your work as being. You initially began writing these as a way to express yourself but it seems that you are trying to express yourself the way others think you should be expressing yourself. If you tend to go from topic to topic then perhaps that's your style. If you have that varied an interest in something you should write that way. Perhaps that is what people find interesting. If people can trace your train of thoughts, then that is enough. Stop writing for others and write for yourself.